NAJC Reading Room
Please note: Many additional resources are listed on the public section of the NAJC website under “Resources.”
On Being a Chaplain
- Bridging with the Sacred: Reflections of an MD Chaplain by Chaplain Bruce D. Feldstein, MD
- Ruth, Naomi, and Levinas’s Other: Asymmetrical Pastoral Care by Rabbi Ruth Gais
- Attorney-Turned-Chaplain: A Career Transformation From What I Do To Who I Am by Karen Lieberman, JD, BCC
- The Need to Be Seen by Karen Lieberman, JD, BCC
- Protecting the Soul of Spiritual Care by Karen Lieberman, JD, BCC
- Why Hospitals Must Be Hospitable; Why Health Care Must Be Healing – And Why Chaplains Must Lead the Way by Karen Lieberman, JD, BCC
- The Chaplain as an Authentic and an Ethical Presence by David J. Zucker, T. Patrick Bradley, and Bonita E. Taylor
Self Care for Chaplains and Other Professionals
- The Effects of Trauma Exposure on Caregivers, by Rev. Alexandra Zareth Canales, MDiv, BCC.
- Provider Stress and Burnout, By Rev. Dr. Wally Fletcher.
- Compassion Fatigue and Burnout among Rabbis Working as Chaplains, by Rabbi Bonita E. Taylor, M.A., BCC, Andrew J. Weaver, M.Th., Ph.D., Kevin J. Flannelly, Ph.D Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling, 2006, No. 1-2, available to NAJC members via Members’ Section of website
- Correlates of Compassion Fatigue and Burnout in Chaplains and Other Clergy who Responded to the September 11th Attacks in New York City, Kevin J. Flannelly, Ph.D., Rabbi Stephen B. Roberts, M.B.A., Andrew J. Weaver, M.Th., Ph.D. Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling, 2005, No. 3, available to NAJC members via Members’ Section of website.
- Practicing Contemplation for Healthy Self Care, by R. Michael Stuart
- Mental Health and Hospital Chaplaincy: Strategies of Self-Protection (Case Study: Toronto, Canada) Masoud Kianpour, PhD.
- Center for Spirituality and Healing at University of Minnesota offers a course, Wellbeing and Resilience for Health Professionals.
- Wellscapes – nature DVDs and also app featuring 5 minute videos of nature
Prayers, Mi-sheberach, Individual Blessings for Special Occasions
Services, Memorials, and Public Prayers
Patient Experience (Satisfaction) Surveys and Metrics
- The Critical Role of Spirituality in Patient Experience
- HCAHPS Resources for Chaplains
- HCAHPS Survey Questions
- The State of Patient Experience: A Global Inquiry for Local Action
- Relationship Between Chaplain Visits and Patient Satisfaction Relationship Between Chaplain Visits and Patient Satisfaction by Rabbi Rafael Goldstein, et al
Pets and Animals prayers and resources: Za’ar Ba’alei Hayyim
For Jewish Patients, Families, Friends, and Chaplains
See NAJC website Resources section
Educational Resources for Chaplains and others
See NAJC website Resources section
Guides for Health Care Staff
- Glossary of Jewish Terms by Rabbi Daniel Coleman
- Patient Care Manual: Religious Needs of the Orthodox Jewish Patient by Rabbi Daniel Coleman
- Pregnancy and Birth: A guide for hospital staff by Rabbi Daniel Coleman
- The Orthodox Jewish Community: A brief guide for hospital staff by Rabbi Daniel Coleman
- Staff and Family guide after death of a traditional Jewish patient by Rabbi Daniel Coleman
- New Approach to In-Service Staff Training: The Passover Cart by Devorah Jacobson
- “Jewish Ritual, Reality and Response at the End-of-Life: A Guide to Caring for Jewish Patients and Families” (pdf) Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life By Rabbi Mark Popovsky, 2007, 47 pages Much info for other situations . The guide includes a variety of types of Jews from non-religious to Orthodox; special circumstances such as holocaust survivors, differences in Ashkenazi and Sephardi practice. Free download
Palliative Care; Medical Decision Making
- Honoring Thy Parent(s): Applying the Spiritual Domain in Palliative Care Decision Making by Rabbi Edith M. Meyerson, DMin, BCC, Diane E. Meier, and Allison Kestenbaum
- A Chaplain’s Guide to Values-Based Decision Making by Rabbi David A. Teutsch
- Eye on Religion: A Jewish View on Miracles of Healing, Aaron L. Mackler, PhD (Southern Medical Journal, 2007)
- A Practical Approach to the Family That Expects a Miracle, Horace M. DeLisser, MD (Chest,2009)
Life Cycle: End-of-Life Issues: Death, Funerals, Burials
Jewish Holidays and Calendar
- Chametz on Passover Prayer by Rabbi Daniel Coleman
- The Very Hungry Sederpillar by Rabbi Daniel Coleman
- About Hanukkah by Rabbi Mark Goldfarb
- About Purim by Rabbi Mark Goldfarb
- About the Shofar by Rabbi Mark Goldfarb
- Tumultuous Tishrei by Rabbi Mark Goldfarb
- Passover Hagaddah by Rabbi Sandra Katz
- Passover Hagaddah Cover by Rabbi Sandra Katz
- Story of Purim (very abbreviated) by Rabbi Beverly Magidson
- Hanukkah (with recipe) by Rabbi Charles Sheer
Working with Specific Jewish Populations
- The Spiritual Transformational Processes of Baalei Teshuvah by Roberta G. Sands, MSW, PhD
Working with Patients or Colleagues who are secular or non-religious
Working With Patients With Special Needs
- Spectrum of Care: Engaging in Chaplaincy with Individuals Who Have Autism by Margaret Lynn B. Kobb, M.Div.
- Handbook of Spiritual Care in Mental Illness (free download, single copy) (from Royal College of Physicians, UK)
- Faith Connections on Mental Illness Faith Connections On Mental Illness was formed by Christian congregations in Chapel Hill NC, may offer models for other local programs. Click Here.
Working With Patients or Colleagues of Other Religions: Muslim
Chaplains, Spirituality, and Health Care Settings
Research on Pastoral Care; Evidence-Based Care
Disaster and Crisis
- Pandemic Ethics and Healthcare Crisis in the United States by Chaplain John Ehman
- Pastoral Care and Epidemics: A Hospital Chaplain’s Preliminary Thoughts by Rabbi Robert Tabak, PhD
- Helping Others Live Sober. Case Western Reserve University program on support and research on recovery from addiction, including the role of religious/spiritual beliefs. Information for both professionals and those in recovery.
- Special Issue on Measures of Spirituality/Religiosity (Religions) (free download) Eleven articles (2016) with international perspectives on spiritual assessement.
Death and Children – recommendations by NAJC Members
Books and resources for parents coping with the death of a child
- Leonard Fine, Against the Dying of the Light: A Father’s Journey Through Loss, Jewish Lights, 2001. Fine, who was instrumental in starting Moment Magazine, wrote the book after the death of his adult daughter.
- Rabbi Rafael Grossman, My Shoshana: A Father’s Journey Through Loss, Eshel Books, 2011
- Sherri Mandell, The Blessing of a Broken Heart (2009) Written following the murder of her teenaged son Koby near Kfar Etzion in 2001. See also www.kobymandell.org
- Deborah Pipe-Mazo (now Rabbi Deborah Pipe) wrote a rabbinic thesis at HUC-JIR called “When A Jewish Child Dies: Pastoral Care of the Bereaved Parent” in 1991.
- Rabbis Jeffrey Saks and Joel B. Wolowelsky (eds), To Mourn A Child – Jewish Responses to Neonatal and Childhood Death, OU Press, 2013
- Harriet Sarnoff Schiff, The Bereaved Parent, Penguin Books, 1977
- Mort Schrag, “When a Jewish Child Dies”
- Alan Wolfelt , Healing a Parent’s Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas After Your Child Dies (Also other books) Website: https://www.centerforloss.com/bookstore/
- Jewish Bereaved Parents Group, Melbourne, Australia. Resources and bibliography.
There are Jewish bereavement groups in many cities. Check with your Jewish Family Service.
Explaining death: For parents and children
- Rabbi Earl Grollman, (Ed.) Bereaved Children and Teens: A Support Guide for Parents and Professional, Beacon Press, 1995.
- Rabbi Earl A. Grollman, “How to Explain Death to Children,” 1979
- Rabbi Earl Grollman, Talking About Death: A Dialogue Between Parent and Child, Beacon Press, 1991, 2011
- Nechama Liss-Levinson, Talking to Children About Death, Life Lights Series, Jewish Lights, n.d.
- Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers),
- Robert Zucker, The Journey Through Grief and Loss: Helping Yourself and Your Child When Grief Is Shared (2009) website, www.robertzucker.com
Explaining death: For teens and children, Jewish books
- Karen L. Carney, Barklay and Eve: Sitting Shiva, Karen L. Carney (self-published), 1995Karen L. Carney, What is the Meaning of Shiva? Jewish Mourning Rituals (self-published), 2001.
- Norman Geller, Talk to God… I’ll Get the Message. Jewish Version. Norman Geller (self-published), 1983.
- Rabbi Earl Grollman, Straight Talk About Death for Teenagers: How to Cope with Losing Someone You Love, 1993
- Nechama Liss-Levinson, When A Grandparent Dies, Jewish Lights, 1995.
- Ilene Munetz Pachman, Like a Knot is my Shoelace: A Yahrzeit Remembrance, United Synagogue, 1999 Also available as a PDF.
- Rabbi Sandy Eisenberg Sasso, For Heaven’s Sake, Jewish Lights, 1999.
- Moshe HaLevi Spero, Zeydeh, Simcha Publishing Co., 1984.
- David Techner and Judith Hirt-Manheimer, A Candle for Grandpa: A Guide to the Jewish Funeral for Children and Parents, UAHC Press (now URJ), 1993. For grades K-3
- Rabbi Rachmiel Tobesman A Time to Mourn, A Time to Comfort: A Child’s Workbook for Remembering and Stories from Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow (2008). Title disambiguation: This is not the same as the adult book with a similar title, A Time to Mourn, a Time to Comfort: A Guide to Jewish Bereavement by Ron Wolfson, (2nd ed. 2005)
Explaining death: For teens and children, general books
- Leo Buscaglia, The Fall of Freddie the Leaf: A Story of Life ( 1982) for younger children
- Erica Goldblatt Hyatt, Grieving for the Sibling You Lost, Instant Help Books, 2015. For teens.
- Judith Viorst, The Tenth Good Thing About Barney (1987) for younger children